October 31, 2008

Trick or treat

In retrospect, perhaps I got carried away.(That was my costume. I was a farmer. I don't think my greatly exaggerated freckles show up in this picture.)


The outfit was within the bounds of normal Halloween excitement. But the $25 of candy? The multiple jack-o-lanterns offset by seven other enormous pumpkins? The candle-lit walkway? The three hours I sat outside freezing my pigtails off waiting in vain for just-one-more trick-or-treater?

I forced a roving gang of college kids to take fistfuls of candy. Three different times.

What happened to trick-or-treating? It used to be the highlight of the season for me when I was a kid, and damn it, it still is now. But I guess these days kids have better things to do - like sit at home and watch TiVo - than to trek up and down cold streets and earn their snack-sized Kit Kat bars. (Oh, yes - I give out the good stuff.)

I did document the few kiddos who came my way (er, some I had to chase down the street and beg to come my way). And here for all to enjoy, are their getups.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Langosy said...

Hi Dina-
I love your website, and I love seeing your garden from the windows of my house! I'm so glad you and Erik moved into our neighborhood!
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Langosy said...

By the way, I think waiting for trick-or-treaters on the front steps next year might bring you a greater crowd because you'd be more visible from the side streets. We had 40 or 50 kids, so our neighborhood is still getting out in force. We had several big groups of six or eight little kids with an equal number of parents--with everyone from babies to fathers dressed in costumes--in addition to just single families coming by. Lots of pumpkins and decorations on our street as well, so I think you're part of a community that loves Halloween as much as you do!

Dina said...

Hi, Elizabeth!

Thank you so much for stopping by last night and for checking out my blog! I think your advice for attracting more trick-or-treaters next year is spot-on, and I'll be sure to make adjustments in my Halloween game.

Only 5 months to go before chickens!

Best,

Dina