October 24, 2008

Cold frames!!

One of the many benefits of being married to a former home builder is that I can say things like, "gee, I wish my vegetables had cute little houses to protect them from the frost," and - viola! - I come home to discover exactly that. Two cute little houses to protect my tender plants from the encroaching winter.To prepare my garden for these boxes, and for last night's frost, I had to pull up the red pepper plants and hang them to dry in the garage.And then we moved the frames onto the gardens in front:Today, there's much to do:
  • harvest basil
  • harvest coriander
  • harvest carrots
  • turn compost and enrich beds
  • rip up squash vines
  • rip up tomatoes
  • "top" brussel sprouts (cutting off the top to encourage bud maturation)
  • plant garlic

I'll check back in later with updates and pictures. Enjoy the beautiful fall day!

No comments: