September 7, 2008

Union Square farmers market

Happy days.
Erik asked me yesterday if the Union Square farmers market (in Somerville, MA) is my favorite. I reflexively answered, 'no, they're all my favorite.' But this is not true. I love this one for no particular reason except that I love the vibe, the people, the vendors and the nearby coffee shop (Bloc 11 cafe).

That, and they don't seem to mind when I dig through their compost bins and score 25 pounds of squished peaches (as I did yesterday).Next year, I'm growing cherry tomatoes because these taste like candy:But the coolest find yesterday was this bizarre flower that looks like pretty brains.
It's called celosia.

And this is hilarious:
It is traditional fare in countries of Central and West Africa, and is one of the leading leafy green vegetables in Nigeria, where it is known as ‘soko yokoto’, meaning ‘make husbands fat and happy.’
(It's true. I found it on the internet.)

The wildflower maven, Ellie, at the Drumlin Farm booth, will explain just about anything to you regarding flowers or produce.
But the real reason I went to the farmers market was to buy as many tomatoes as I could for as little money as possible. I succeeded, thanks to Steve from Parker Farm in Lunenberg, MA. I gave him a $10 bill, and he gave me an empty wooden crate with the invitation to take as many as I wanted.
Today, I regret this feat, if only a little.

30 pounds of tomatoes, 6 pounds of onions, 1.5 pounds of garlic and 24 hours later, I've made 8 quarts of tomato sauce.

Was it worth it? Don't know, really, but I think so. Recipe post to follow.

2 comments:

BeatricCaldwell said...

While Ellie surely sounds nice, she really can't beat the boss of the Somerville Danish Flower Mafia.

Dina said...

Yup. Ulla would squash her with one boob.