September 11, 2008

Fall is in the air . . .



This is how it feels outside.

I took these pictures in Vermont a few years ago, and this morning, the chill in the air consolidated all available enthusiasm in one person in our household.

Erik - "Not happy."
Me - "?"
Erik - "Winter's here. It's practically snowing. All happiness has died."
Me - "What about apple-picking? The changing leaves? The brisk, blue skies?"
Erik - "I have to wear socks."

This summer has been one of the best summers of my life and yet I'm thrilled that fall is here. Though it signals a winding down of the natural world, to me, it signifies a kind renewal. Back to school. Cozy sweaters. Sharp #2 pencils. A distillation, a preparation, a sort of focus after the frenetic spawn of summer. And as much as seedlings poking through cold dirt in March embody life's reemergence, autumn reminds me that we are caught in this loop for another cycle, and there's as much to celebrate now as ever.

No comments: