January 2, 2010

Crawling out of my hole

bushes_in_the_snow-400.jpg

When a thing is born, what does it first do?

Write a novel? Wash the dishes?

Nah. It cries. And sleeps, and learns to crawl.

Are rules the same for the re-born? And is too grandiose to suggest that in a way, this is happening to me?

It's not about the new year - it's about the final days of a deal that I reluctantly made with myself last spring, when I thought my company was going down and me with it (yay, newspapers). I decided to launch myself into the industrious, ambitious, obsessed business world to see if I could "make it" outside of the only job I've ever known.

In doing so, I made this deal and traded in my entire life. No more pottery, no more twice-daily yoga, or long hikes, or friends, or painting, or GARDENING, or blogging (which you are surely to not notice, as no one reads this anymore, therefore, there's no you there).

However, I did not lose my job. I just gained another full-time job, and for the past 9 months, been doing them both - and nothing else.

Boring.

That, though, is ending. I can't say for sure how, but I desperately want my life back, the connection to the earth and things that grow and have nothing to do with this man-made world of concrete and invisible economies.

This was a pre-meditated rebirth - meaning that I've been planning for it for months. Stage One was full of crying and being totally unimpressive, like most infants.

Stage Two came this weekend. I dusted off my seed catalogues, recruited the ever-supportive Erik and set about to make Plans for this year's Garden. Or, ahem, gardenS. We're expanding the operation.

On tap this growing season:

kale (dwarf blue curled scotch and lacinato)
potatoes (French Fingerling and All Blue)
tomatoes (Sidduth's strain Brandywine and Black from Tula)
Chinese cabbage (Joi Choi)
beets (early blood turnip)
carrots (Paris market and Danvers)
zucchini (green tiger)
summer squash (summer crookneck)
winter squash (table queen acorn-type)
dill
cucumbers (sweet success hybrid)
chard (Fordhook giant)
corn (Reed's yellow dent)
sunflowers
garlic (German extra hardy)
eggplant (listada de Gandia)
purple pole beans
ground cherries (Aunt Molly's)
lima beans (Big Mama)
spinach (America)
bell peppers (purple beauty)
hot peppers (mustard habanero)
asparagus (Jersey giant)
arugula
basil (sweet Genovese)
cilantro
strawberries (3 types)
lettuce (8 types)

And Erik has finally agreed that this is the year of the Chicken! So eggs are hot compost are coming to a blogger near you.

It is January 2 and about 12 degrees outside. Most would agree that it's winter. But for me, it's springtime. And parts of me that have been crusted over by ice and buried in a snowbank are beginning to thaw. Beginning to believe that my life can be drawn back into it's old, more earthy orbit, and that soon my eyes will be filled with visions of green and growth and tiny, fluffy, helpless chicks wobbling about, squawking, just barely born.

And I will totally understand.



7 comments:

Anna said...

I'm still reading, and looking forward to more gardening pictures. And dreaming of my own garden. :-)

Dina said...

Thank you for sticking around, Anna! As for your own garden, all it takes some dirt and courage. And honestly, courage for me is the hardest part. I have to forgive myself in advance if I fall short, and given my expectations, I always do. But every time I see something tiny and green poke through the earth, my heart leaps and I fall in love again, and again, and again . . .

Love-it-or-leav-it said...

I was SOOOOOOOOO excited to log in and see, on my list of blogs, "18-hours-ago" under City Loves Country, rather than (4 months ago). So glad you're back on here, and I can't wait to read more, especially about the chickens!!!

dianekwak said...

i was wondering what happened to you. glad to see you back. i really do enjoy your blog. it's the common love of gardening (though i'm just a beginner... and now that i've recently moved, no longer have a garden... *sniff*... so i need to live vicariously thru ppl like you!) and b/c i feel a connection to you, having also lived in the medford/somerville area. :)

so thanks! and i'm looking forward to much more! :)

Dina said...

Diane! What a wonderful comment. I swear. Sometimes I curse e-mail, and then I get a message that just makes my day - like yours. Thank you, and I will take extra pictures of the veggies this year for you!

Dina

Diana said...

So glad to see you are posting again! I'm a random Memphis newbie gardener who found your blog through a search for advice on growing Beam's Yellow Pear tomatoes, which I grew for the first time last year. I was so inspired by your garden that I kept logging back on! I love your narratives and photos, so I'm looking forward to reading anything you have time to write this year :)

Dina said...

Dear Annemarie and Diana;

Thank you both for leaving your thoughts! It's so inspiring to know that there are others out there as ready to grow and grow things as I am! I'm about to post a poem that I just heard about hope.

Dina